Friday, July 7, 2017

Alamo Fire Plume

Flying in from Santa Cruz Island, I was startled to see this monster plume of the Alamo Fire in the far distance. With polarizing filter, maximum zoom, and some image editing I was able to capture this color-shifted impression of what we saw.

By the time we were descending toward SBA the haze and dispersing smoke didn't permit a better pic. This one was taken at about 2:40pm. I've sent this pic to Edhat, and am about to add a comment on their article about the fire.

Update 8:20pm:
 I found this satellite fire detection map online showing the approximate locations of infrared hotspots. I didn't try to find the times when the different dots were detected, but those sometimes give clues as to the directions in which a fire is burning. Some might be detected on the same satellite pass, while others could be hours apart. Anyway, this gives a little more info that might be helpful or interesting.

SBitz Intro Post

Introduction